Wednesday 9 February 2022

2000 Books

I love libraries! When I lived in Mexico, I would check out a book and as soon as I returned it, I could get another. I always had one book on loan!

Now living in the US when my sons were 2 1/2 and 3 years old in 1995, we started going to the library every Tuesday morning for the “Reading program for kids”. On our first visit, I got my library card, and I was ready to check out a book! At the end of the reading program, the boys and I were looking at books to decide on the best one to borrow. I explained to them that the books belonged to the library, but we could take home one, read it and next week would return it. I said: “The library likes to share their books.” They were excited learning that the library also shares!

 After finding the book we wanted, of course both wanted to carry it, we walked to the counter. The lady was busy, so in the meantime we looked to the coloring sheets on the counter. When she was ready, I gave her my new library card and one of the boys handed her our book. She looked at me and gave me a confused look! I wasn’t sure what was going on. I asked, “it’s something wrong? I just got my card today.” She said: “No problem, but are you only checking out one book?” I thought why is she asking me that? “Is it ok to check out this book?” I asked, at which she replied. “Of course!”, and smiled, “you can check out this book and many more!”  What?!?! You mean I can check out more than one?!?! Yes! she said: “you can check out as many as you want!”  Omg! Really? So, I shared with her my story coming from Mexico

and the one book at a time rule, she was surprised! Then, I told the good news to the boys, I said: “the library is super nice and would share more books with us if we want more!” Before I finished telling them, they ran happily back to the bookshelves! “Boys, no running!” …Too late.

 From that day on, we would check out 20-25 books every week. She also offered us free coloring and drawings sheets, so we took several every time. Pretty cool!

Besides children’s books, we soon started to borrow movies and classical music cassette tapes, the boys loved going to sleep to music. During the next few years before starting kindergarten, we were able to borrow and read at least 2000 children’s books! Soon everyone at the library knew us by name, it made us feel at home!

 The library director was so intrige with my goal to teach my boys Spanish before starting kindergarten that she started buying bilingual books. I remember her saying “Maggie, I purchased some bilingual books for your boys, follow me I'll show you where they are.” Wow, it was so special!  I love the library! Everyone was super nice to us. The director also invited me to participate as a guest leading a few programs, like Cinco de Mayo, how to make a piƱata, teaching make-up for teens, pampering guest with a Lips and hands treatment and more. I’m very thankful to the Midcontinent Public Library, the employees were amazing, then and now, and am glad for all they do for the community, they rock and their service make me think about this verse:

 “With good will doing service, as to the Lord and not to men”. Ephesians 6:7




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.